Thursday, July 21, 2011

Joined the army reserve and haven't gone to army basic yet. Can I opt out?

Here's the deal: I joined the army reserve in may, went to MEPS and signed the contract. I am prior service navy (served 4 years got out in feb 2010 and was in inactive navy reserve till i joined the army reserve) and currently going to college on the post 9/11 G.I. Bill. The army told me that I had to go to army boot camp. I don't mind having to go to boot camp again, however at MEPs they assigned me Aug 01, which cuts out the last 2 weeks of my summer semester at college. I asked the person who wrote my orders if I could change it, and he said that when I get to my unit they could. I went to drill once and asked the sergeant in charge if he could change it. He refused to; his reasoning was that he didnt want to take the risk of me not going. I kept trying to explain to him that it interefered with my school. He didn't budge. What will happen if stop going to drill and don't go to boot camp?

No comments:

Post a Comment